Patients and Families
Being admitted to the hospital for surgery or a procedure can be stressful. We want you to be informed and to feel welcomed and comfortable while you're with us. To make the most of your visit, be sure to ask your doctor and/or nurse any questions or express any concerns you have.
The Admissions Check-in Process
Once you arrive in one of our admitting check-in areas, a member of our staff will speak with you and:
- Ask to see a valid form of photo identification and insurance card
- Verify your contact information.
- Make sure you have reviewed and signed the necessary paperwork.
To help you prepare for your visit to Community HealthCare System, we've created the following courtesy checklist.
What to bring with you:
- Drivers license, passport, military ID or other valid photo identification (federally issued ID).
- Current medical insurance information, including insurance cards, pre-certification and other documentation required by your insurer.
- Complete list of all prescriptions and over-the-counter medications you are currently taking, including patches, vitamins or herbal supplements.
- List of any allergies, especially to medications, food and/or other substances.
- Copies of any laboratory information provided to you.
- Copies of any previous surgical or other medical records you may have.
- A copy of your advance directive or living will, if applicable.
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctor(s) who referred you to CHCS and/or provides care for you.
- Any orders, reports or paperwork you may have received from your doctor or health care provider.
- List of telephone numbers of your immediate family that we can call, if necessary.
- Ask friends or relatives to accompany you if you wish. Depending on the type of appointment you have, you may need someone to take you home.
For Your Comfort
CHCS provides gowns and basic toiletries, such as shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste. Although there is a limited amount of space for personal items in patient rooms, you may also want to pack:
- Personal toiletries, such as a comb, brush, your own shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Your own pajamas or nightgown, bathrobe, shower shoes and slippers.
- Reading glasses.
- Books and magazines.
- Laptop. CHCS offers free wireless internet access.
For Your Child’s Comfort
Children often feel more comfortable in the hospital when they have their own personal things from home. Therefore, we encourage you to bring personal items to be used during your child’s stay such as:
- Favorite pillow or blanket.
- Easily cleaned toy, doll or stuffed animal.
- Favorite video game or music (include ear buds).
- Pictures of family and friends.
Many children prefer to wear their own clothing during their stay, so you may bring a few favorite clothing items. In addition, bring glasses, hearing aids, braces, crutches or corrective shoes, if used by your child. We ask that you mark any items from home with your child’s name. For health reasons, children will not be permitted to share their personal things.
What to leave at home:
- Please leave all your valuables at home. Items such as jewelry, expensive clothing or other costly items should not be brought to the hospital. CHCS is not responsible for the loss of or damage to any personal property kept in your room.
- Do not bring any electrical appliances. They are not allowed except in special circumstances.
Community HealthCare System
Phone: 785-889-4657, ext. 1137